Maria's expertise as a construction dispute specialist began 19 years ago in the UK and focuses on both UK and Middle East law. She has been specialising in construction disputes since 2000 and advising clients in the Gulf Region since 2013.
Examples of her recent construction dispute work include:
- Advising a major local contractor on design liability for a 160 million AED landmark project in Dubai.
- Advising a Far East contractor in respect of its claims resulting from delay and disruption arising on a US$590 million EPC production plant project in Saudi Arabia.
- Acting in the mediation/arbitration of the disputed final account of a US contractor on US$1 billion Oil Production Facility in Iraq, which led to a successful settlement of the claim for the contractor, following robust negotiations which took place following issue of the statement of case.
- Advising a multinational construction client on the drafting of its claims for extension of time arising on a 1.2 billion AED mixed use real estate development in Dubai.
- Advising a Russian oil services operator on pre-emptive defences in respect of incipient claims from the contractor on a US$1 billion early production facilities project in Iraq.
- Drafting statements of case for two DIAC arbitrations for a major Indian Contractor in respect of subcontractor defaults on residential and infrastructure projects in Dubai.
- Advising an Abu Dhabi based oil and gas subcontractor on the preparing of a robust extension of time claim resulting from on-island civil works off the coast of Abu Dhabi.
Away from the office Maria acts as a mentor on RICS ACRE Mediation training courses and delivers webinars to RICS members. She is also a member of the RICS Market Advisory Panel which reviews RICS' strategy for growth in the MENA region.